This magnificent country that we call home, has an abundance of places to see and things to do. Come for a journey and explore our Port Augusta, Flinders Rangers & Outback. Port Augusta is the ideal location to use as a base to tour the Flinders Ranges & Outback. A trip to the Flinders Ranges is something every person should experience. A few days in this beautifully rugged, 540 million-year-old landscape will stay with you forever and change the way you look at the world. Most people visit Port Augusta & the Flinders Ranges by self driven vehicles. There is several car hire companies operating out of Port Augusta. Sharp Airlines have departures Monday-Friday Adelaide to Port Augusta. Courtesy shuttle service to and from airport for our guests. Come experience the Outback while enjoying the comforts of home.
Try one of our Holiday Packages
When planning your next holiday, do you want some extra inspiration? Escape with that special someone on the perfect Romantic Holiday. A romantic escape offers long days away from the distractions of everyday life, that can provide a great kick start to any relationship. Port Augusta makes a great romantic escape destination.
You will love Port Augusta!
Port Augusta is located on the calm waters of South Australia’s Spencer Gulf, and enjoys the majestic Flinders Ranges as a stunning backdrop. It’s waterfront location and its close proximity to the Flinders makes it ideal to enjoy to enjoy water sports such as kayaking, windsurfing, waterskiing and boating, as well as camping, hiking and picnicking in the ranges. Oh, and did we mention the fishing? Port Augusta is renowned as the place to catch a prized yellow tail kingfish, attracting keen fisherman from around Australia.
Holidaying doesn't have to break the bank, when you know where to go.
Explore and enjoy these free activities and attractions experience them all and more.
• Sunrise or sunset at Port Augusta in the Flinders Rangers is phenomenal.
• Drive to a private area at dusk and lie on a blanket looking up at the billions of bright stars.
• Soak in the sounds and scents while strolling around the 200 hectares of the award winning Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden only minutes from Port Augusta
• Visit the Curdnatta Art gallery – Commercial Road, open Mon-Fri 10am-2pm, donation on entry
• Drive to the Spectacular Hancocks Lookout for a view of Port Douglas and the Spencer Gulf – 35ks
• Port Augusta Cultural Centre – Yarta Purtli Galleries
• Take a drive to down shack road to the Blanche Harbour Picnic Area-23 ks
• 3rd Sunday morning- Fossick in the undercover car park markets and produce market
• RSL SUB Branch Military Memorabilia Museum – Home of the Leopard Tank 8-4 pm
• Royal Flying Doctor Service – Port Augusta Airport, weekdays 10-12 am & 2-4 pm
• Wave skate park – Foreshore
• Throw in the fishing line from the Old Bridge, Jetties, Shoreline & Boat Fishing – fantastic!
• Take a trip into yester-year and find out about our city on the Heritage Walk
• Take in the scenery from the top of the historic water tower see one of the great lookouts – McLellen, Matthew Flinders or Redbanks.
• Local Aboriginal Art is available from the Urramunja Arts Centre.
The Wadlata Outback Centre is one of Port Augusta's major attractions and is home to the award-winning Tunnel Of Time adventure. Experience the Flinders Ranges and Outback as you never have before. Step back in time to when the land was taking shape and dreaming stories were being created. Meet the first explorers and settlers then get to know the locals who live here today. Iit’s far bigger than it looks so a return visit is must.
Wadlata Outback Centre is also a premier Visitor Information Centre and friendly staff can help you with bookings for tours, accommodation as well as general travel information. Bookings can also be made through its website www.wadlata.sa.gov.au
You can read the Port Augusta Visitor Guide as an online version and is full of information on what to see and do in the area. See the Flinders Ranges and outback guide for the greater region.
The Australian Arid Lands Botanic Garden is another major attractions in Port Augusta, and is set on more than 250 hectares of land. As well as being home to hundreds of species of arid land plants, the garden is also home to more than a hundred different bird species which can be viewed from its two bird hides. Stroll through the gardens on its many walking tracks or relax and enjoy some time in the Bluebush Cafe, located at the heart of the garden in the visitor centre.
Play a game of golf at the Port Augusta Golf Course and enjoy the changing colours of the world famous Flinders Ranges, right on the edge of the South Australian Outback
Southern Flinders Ranges Wine Region includes wineries between Port Augusta, Port Pirie and Gladstone, and includes vineyards and wineries near the towns of Wilmington, Murray Town, Melrose, Jamestown and Laura